Do I Need to Sample a Tank Area?

Share this Article
Tank Area

Many child care centers are located at sites where there is (or was) oil heat, or other uses that had storage tanks, such as commercial properties or former service stations. There may be aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) or underground storage tanks (USTs) that stored #2 fuel oil, or some other petroleum product. Are samples required for child care center licensing requirements? Yes, usually.

A Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) will research NJDEP rules and guidance documents to determine sampling requirements, if any. Factors that go into the decision making include discharge history, prior sampling data, distance from tank to child care center areas, and whether the tank is located upgradient or downgradient of the center. If samples are deemed necessary, it is usually a result of a potential risk, such as vapor intrusion or direct contact in the play area.

Link to Guidance Doc

Share this Article

Related Articles

How to Read Your Mold Report

There are many indications that mold may be growing in a home or building. People may start to ...
Read More

Do I Need Air Duct Mold Cleaning in My Home

The air we breathe every day is a lot dirtier than you may realize – even when you ...
Read More

What Causes Poor Indoor Air Quality in Your Home and Business

We know that the air outdoors is fairly polluted in most places around the world, especially in urban ...
Read More