what causes poor indoor air quality in your home and business

What Causes Poor Indoor Air Quality in Your Home and Business

By Paul Sakson / December 17, 2021

We know that the air outdoors is fairly polluted in most places around the world, especially in urban areas. But more times than not, the air inside homes and businesses is far worse. The EPA concluded that the air quality indoors is 2 to 5 times worse than the outdoors! Most people and children spend the majority of their day…

Read More
how to test indoor air quality

Addressing Indoor Air in Homes, Schools, & Offices: Why Does it Matter?

By Paul Sakson / December 6, 2021

Air pollution is hard to fend off, no matter where you live. This global crisis is a huge threat to human health and welfare, claiming nearly 4.5 million lives every year. While most people lose sleep over outdoor air pollution, the unfortunate reality is that indoor air is often just as contaminated. In fact, it may be worse in some…

Read More
how to reduce exposure tvoc levels in a childcare facility

TVOC Levels in a Childcare Facility – Warning Signs and How to Reduce Exposure

By Paul Sakson / October 13, 2021

If you operate a childcare facility, the safety and wellbeing of your children and staff is a high priority to you. However, if your facility contains a high level of indoor air pollutants, you may unknowingly be putting them in danger. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are often to blame for poor indoor air quality. VOCs are chemicals that evaporate at…

Read More
signs of formaldehyde in child care center

Signs of Formaldehyde in a Child Care Center- And What to Do About It

By Paul Sakson / September 30, 2021

No one wants their children to be exposed to harmful substances, especially in a child care facility where they spend a large part of their day. However, the owner and staff at a child care center may not be aware of possible harmful substances that could be present in their rooms – such as elevated levels of formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is…

Read More
how to recognize radon symptoms in your child

How to Recognize Radon Symptoms in your Child

By Paul Sakson / August 10, 2021

Schools and childcare centers around the country are supposed to be safe environments for children to learn and play. However, this is not always the case, as the invisible risk of radon could be putting your child’s health at risk. In addition, radon symptoms are an indicator of long-term exposure – so parents need to know whether or not their…

Read More
Cute Baby Playing with Toys

When is Air Sampling Required

By Paul Sakson / October 1, 2016

Air sampling is generally required when a child care center is located (or co-located) in a building that was used for dry cleaning, nail salon, petroleum storage, funeral services, or other potentially high hazard use group.  The New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) should be contacted to determine the requirements for indoor air sampling, although oftentimes they leave professional judgment…

Read More
Folder Icon

Are there any NJDOH requirements for my site?

By Paul Sakson / November 27, 2015

We get this question often from child care center owners looking to move into a new space or expand an existing center.  The NJ Department of Health (NJDOH) has requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 8-50 in addition to their Indoor Environments Program website. Generally, if a building was constructed prior to 1979, or the property was formerly used as a gas…

Read More

Have a Center with Well Water?

By Paul Sakson / May 7, 2015

While most child care centers receive potable water from community water suppliers (NJ American Water, Municipal Utilities Authority to name a few), many centers in rural areas receive their water from water supply wells.  In order to certify the water quality, the NJDEP’s Bureau of Safe Drinking Water reviews all sampling data and will issue a Certification of Acceptable Drinking…

Read More