Read up on the latest environmental consulting news from Paul Sakson Environmental.
And if there’s a particular topic you want us to blog about, let us know.

school drinking water lead testing nj

Lead Water Testing in NJ:
Is Your School Drinking Water Safe?

By Paul Sakson / August 24, 2021

We all want to believe our children are drinking safe water while at school or in day care – but how do you really know? What’s the protocol for ensuring New Jersey school water sources are lead-free and safe to drink? That’s where state regulations on water testing in New Jersey come into play. Back in 2019, both the New…

Read More
how to recognize radon symptoms in your child

How to Recognize Radon Symptoms in your Child

By Paul Sakson / August 10, 2021

Schools and childcare centers around the country are supposed to be safe environments for children to learn and play. However, this is not always the case, as the invisible risk of radon could be putting your child’s health at risk. In addition, radon symptoms are an indicator of long-term exposure – so parents need to know whether or not their…

Read More
how long does environmental compliance take

Opening a Child Care Center in New Jersey: How Long Does Environmental Compliance Take?

By Paul Sakson / July 19, 2021

To open a new child care center in New Jersey, the owner must perform some basic environmental tasks for compliance with regulations. Let’s talk about what that means. Environmental compliance shows that a child care center is adhering to New Jersey’s laws in order to obtain a license to operate. In addition, compliance helps ensure that the child care center…

Read More
Day Care Blocks

Why does the NJDEP inspect my site?

By Paul Sakson / April 27, 2021

If you have a new child care center, State licensing requirements require an environmental assessment.  Usually, this entails hiring a Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) to issue a Response Action Outcome (RAO) to satisfy NJ Department of Environmental Protection requirements.  The RAO is the final document. So why does the NJDEP inspect the site and review the file after the…

Read More

What are PCBs?

By Paul Sakson / May 10, 2020

PCBs, or polychlorinated biphenyls, have been used as a coolant and lubricating fluid in a variety of electrical products due to their good heat insulation properties. Hence they have historically been used in pole mounted and ground transformers, fluorescent lighting fixtures and equipment using hydraulic oils. PCBs are generally odorless and colorless and tend to persist in the environment. Aroclor…

Read More
Tank Area

Do I Need to Sample a Tank Area?

By Paul Sakson / June 1, 2017

Many child care centers are located at sites where there is (or was) oil heat, or other uses that had storage tanks, such as commercial properties or former service stations. There may be aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) or underground storage tanks (USTs) that stored #2 fuel oil, or some other petroleum product. Are samples required for child care center licensing…

Read More

Historic Fill Sampling for Child Care Centers

By Paul Sakson / May 1, 2017

Many urban and low elevation areas in New Jersey have been mapped by the New Jersey Geological Survey as having historic fill.  Fill material often contains metals, semi-volatile compounds and petroleum hydrocarbons. The first step is to confirm if mapped historic fill is actually present.  This is generally accomplished via drilling small diameter holes in various areas of the property. …

Read More
Cute Baby Playing with Toys

When is Air Sampling Required

By Paul Sakson / October 1, 2016

Air sampling is generally required when a child care center is located (or co-located) in a building that was used for dry cleaning, nail salon, petroleum storage, funeral services, or other potentially high hazard use group.  The New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) should be contacted to determine the requirements for indoor air sampling, although oftentimes they leave professional judgment…

Read More
Image Coming Soon

How Much Does Environmental Compliance Cost?

By Paul Sakson / June 27, 2016

When opening a childcare center, it’s important to budget environmental compliance costs. Following are approximate costs one may expect: NJDEP Compliance: Preliminary Assessment (PA): $2,500-$4,000 Site Investigation (limited sampling, if required): $2,000-$5,000 NJDEP Fee: $0 NJDEP Grant for PA: -$1,500 NJDOH Compliance (if needed): Indoor Environmental Health Assessment: $2,000-$4,000 NJDOH Initial Fee: $1.500 Radon Testing: $500 to $2,000 With proper…

Read More