Do I Need to Sample a Tank Area?

Many child care centers are located at sites where there is (or was) oil heat, or other uses that had storage tanks, such as commercial properties or former service stations. There may be aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) or underground storage tanks (USTs) that stored #2 fuel oil, or some other petroleum product. Are samples required for child care center licensing requirements? Yes, usually.

A Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) will research NJDEP rules and guidance documents to determine sampling requirements, if any. Factors that go into the decision making include discharge history, prior sampling data, distance from tank to child care center areas, and whether the tank is located upgradient or downgradient of the center. If samples are deemed necessary, it is usually a result of a potential risk, such as vapor intrusion or direct contact in the play area.

Link to Guidance Doc


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *