For Child Care Centers

Frequently Asked Questions


What are the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) requirements for a child care center?
A Preliminary Assessment (PA) and Report needs to be completed in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:26E to satisfy NJDEP requirements. In summary, a PA includes performing the environmental due diligence on the property, including deed search, municipal and county file searches, review of historic documentation such as aerial photographs, insurance maps and telephone directories, research of industrial directories, and review of government databases. The PA also includes a current site inspection. This information is then submitted to the NJDEP in a Preliminary Assessment Report. The final remediation document, a Response Action Outcome letter, is issued by the Licensed Site Remediation Professional retained by the child care center.


How long does the Preliminary Assessment take?
The Preliminary Assessment and Remedial Action Outcome letter is usually completed in 30 days upon receipt of all available documentation.


How much does a PA cost?
The cost is largely dependent on the site size, historical use, and number of areas evaluated. The average costs range from approximately $3,000 to $5,000 for most sites. The NJDEP will reimburse the child care center up to $1,500 for the PA. Sakson completes all the grant application forms as a courtesy to our customers.


What are the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) requirements?
For child care centers proposed in buildings constructed in 1978 or earlier, or co-located with nail salons, dry cleaners, or any other potential environmental concern, an Indoor Environmental Health Assessment (IEHA) is required. An IEHA encompasses radon testing, lead paint survey, asbestos inspection, and identification of any other potential indoor environmental concern. The IEHA must be conducted by a NJDOH licensed company.


How long does the IEHA take?
The IEHA and accompanying forms are completed within 30 days upon receipt of all available documentation. The NJDOH will review the forms and issue a Safe Building Interior Certificate generally within 30 to 60 days.


How much does an IEHA cost?
The cost is largely dependent on site specific conditions. The average cost ranges from $1,500 to $3,000 for most sites. Sakson can provide a free cost estimate for your specific project. This does not include the NJDOH fee, which is $1,500 for an initial application.


When and how do radon samples need to be collected?
Every 5 years radon samples need to be collected. Samples need to be collected from each frequently occupied room, which includes classrooms and offices, on the lowest level of the center.


When and how do drinking water samples need to be collected?
Every 3 years drinking water samples area required to be collected from all drinking water faucets and at least 50% of the child care center’s total number of faucets.