Get your Letter of Prior Uses Early

Sep 1, 2014 | General

The New Jersey Department of Children and Families (NJDCF) requires a letter from the municipality documenting past uses of the property. The Letter of Prior Uses is usually issued by the Building Department Construction Official, although may be issued by the Zoning Department in some towns. The letter will document if the site had ever operated in Groups F, H, S, B, M or A (Factory, High hazard, Storage, Nail Salon or Dry Cleaner, Service Station or Funeral Homes). If so, the site may be subject to the Madden legislation which would require an additional level of environmental compliance (such as complying with NJ Dept,. of Health requirements). Obtaining this letter early on makes the development process smoother. The NJDCF Manual summarizes all environmental requirements.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *