Opening a New Center in a Vacated One?

We’ve recently received a few phone calls asking what the environmental requirements are to open a child care center in a space previously occupied by a child care center. The NJ Department of Children and Families (NJDCF) have recently revised their policy regarding such a situation: If the space has been vacant for more than one year, a new Response Action Outcome (RAO) or NJDEP Approval letter is required. For vacancies less than one year, the historic RAO or NJDEP Approval letter generally suffices. As always, you should check with your NJDCF inspector to determine site specific requirements.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *